Tuesday, February 26, 2013

How to make DIY Custom Shutters on a Budget

My husband and I wanted to "Spruce up" the outside of our home and give it some curb appeal. We never really liked the plastic shutters that you see on most all builder's grade houses now days. So we did our research on Board and Batton Shutters. And what we found was that these shutters were pretty pricey! So we decided to give it a go ourselves and make them!



We found the wood planks at Home Depot. (Our Lowes did not carry this size wood) We used Yella Wood in 1x6 slants. (One tip I will give you is to stain the wood before you nail them together. It makes things a lot easier!) You can make these shutters fairly easy and without much "Handyman" experience.

We used a air nail gun to secure them together. (I wish I would have taken step by step pics but did not) We used four wood slants and then two slants, one on the top and one on the bottom. You can use more than four if you have the space for that size of the shutter. Four boards worked perfectly for our house. We then bought standard gate hinges and took them apart and used one on the top and one on the bottom for decoration. The shutters turned out beautifully! We made four shutters for around $100. We stained the shutters to match our fence and also bought a new address plate and numbers and stained it the same color as well.

Please post any questions you may have and I will be happy to answer!
Thanks, Selena



HERE IS AN UP CLOSE PICTURE OF THE SHUTTER AND HINGE.
 



ANOTHER CLOSE UP SHOT OF THE SHUTTER.
 



FINISHED RESULT!
 






HERE'S THE NEW ADDRESS PLATE.


BEFORE NEW SHUTTERS......
 
 
AFTER NEW SHUTTERS!

AFTER NEW SHUTTERS!
 
BEFORE SHUTTERS!

7 comments:

  1. My husband and I wanted to "Spruce up" the outside of our home and give it some curb appeal. We never really liked the plastic shutters that you see on most all builder's grade houses. shutters chelmsford

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Custom Shutters do make a huge impact for a small price!

      Delete
  2. Thanks! I am glad you are enjoying my posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the look, thank you for posting and sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE THESE! WHAT COLOR STAIN DID YOU USE??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your choice. There is no durability or strength to plastic shutters. The shutters on my house are wooden as well. The planks were really well used. Post as much as possible. The tips you provide on home improvement are very useful.

    ReplyDelete